Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blizzard on the way? Time to stock up...

The ultimate convenience "store."
Merchant's Sleigh (ca. 1910) by maker Fred Brether


This week it seems like most of the country is buried under heavy blankets of snow. I didn't get to make it to the grocery store to stock up on milk and bread before the most recent heavy storm hit, but I'm sure a lot of other people did.

The snow inspired me to look through our collection of sleighs and see if I could find something especially interesting. This one caught my eye--it's a horse-drawn vehicle that sold milk, cheese, eggs, butter, and even "tea, coffee, sausages, all delicacies and farm products." It was pulled by one horse and belonged to the grocer Frederick E. Brether, a German immigrant who lived in Manchester, New Hampshire. Our records state that he sold his own homemade sauerkraut, sausages and dill pickles from this wagon.

I suppose something like this would come in handy for our next big blizzard--no need to get to the grocery store ahead of time because the milk and eggs will come straight to you!

1 comment:

  1. I have seen bicyclists delivering groceries around Burlington. With the current depth of snow it may be time to resurrect this form of delivery.

    ReplyDelete